People in the world’s poorest countries suffer the devastating effects of climate change more than anyone else.
Now, rich nations have agreed to pay into a fund to help countries damaged by the industrial activity of the developed world.
The UN’s climate chief says this ‘will benefit the most vulnerable around the world.’
Some are calling the deal a ‘historic victory’, but others worry it is not enough.
Key words and phrases
• My dad says he won’t buy me a birthday present, but it’s an empty threat. I know he will.
• I hoped she would arrive on time but it was another empty promise.
something that causes a significant change
• Smartphones are a game-changer. The way we do things is completely different now.
• This high-speed train could be a game-changer for international travel.
it sounds impressive but it’s nonsense
• The PM said she would lower taxes but it’s just hot air.
• The conspiracy theory has been dismissed as hot air.
0:00 – Introduction
0:24 – Story
1:16 – Headline 1: The Conversation: COP27’s ‘loss and damage’ fund for developing countries could be a breakthrough – or another empty climate promise
3:00 – Headline 2: RTE: EU proposal the game-changer at COP27
4:26 – Headline 3: The Telegraph: Cop27 was a lot of hot air – again
5:55 – Language summary
For a quiz and downloads, check out our website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/newsreview-2022/unit-1/session-46
SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel for more videos to help you improve your English: www.youtube.com/bbclearningenglish
Visit our website: https://www.bbclearningenglish.com
Find us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bbclearningenglish
Find us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/bbcle
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bbclearningenglish.multimedia
We like receiving and reading your comments – please use English when you comment.