SS Leaders 8-09-20
PRAYERS FOR LUKE
– Thank You! Praise God
– Second procedure next week, Aug 13
– Hopefully back to normal Aug 16
– Childcare returning Aug 16
Wednesday Night Bible Study 6:00pm
– Facebook Live Bible Study
– In-Person Wednesday nights begin Aug 19
Explore the Bible – Aug 9 – Proverbs 29:1-3; 12-20
Opening Question: ?? At first glance, do you view discipline in a positive or negative light ??
– The word brings to mind negative experiences, difficulty, pain
– But responding well to correction, rebuke, and training results in strength, stability, wisdom, peace & joy
PROVERBS 29:1-3 – RESULTS OF DISCIPLINE
?? What happens to those who don’t listen to discipline (God’s correction) ??
– The bigger they are, the harder they fall
– The more stubborn they are, they faster they fall
– Shatter like glass
– Come to ruin
– Hurt others
– Lose everything
?? What is the result of following God’s discipline ??
– Righteousness, wisdom
– Joy for us and for others
– Families & Communities affected
?? Where do you think our society falls right now ??
– We’ve had more warnings than we deserve
– Individuals are responding to God’s signs
– Society as a whole seems to be stiffening their resolve
– Lines are being drawn in the sand
?? How is a leader’s legacy affected by their response to discipline ??
– Those who ignore God get sucked into lies and produce wickedness
– Those who listen to God lead with fairness and God gives them lasting & even eternal results
– Continue praying for our leaders
?? Who has access to Eternal Wisdom ??
– Those at the very top, those at the bottom, and everyone in between
– God doesn’t show favoritism
– His wisdom is available to anyone who will listen
?? Are we at the mercy of our elected officials and life circumstances ??
– We are at God’s mercy
– He has given us the freedom to follow Him
– If we listen to wisdom & discipline, God will work out our circumstances for His glory and our good
PROVERBS 29:15-17 – PARENTING WITH DISCIPLINE
?? What responsibility do parents have ??
– To correct their children the way God disciplines us
?? Isn’t the “rod” harsh and cruel ??
– Not if it’s done in the right way
– Motivation is love & building up
– Not power, being right, or abuse
– In order to correct, you must teach consequences
– (Student loan “crisis”)
?? How important is parental discipline to our society ??
– Without it, we are left with a society that is disgraced, falling apart, and full of sin & wickedness
– Lack of discipline leads to destruction
– The wicked will come to ruin
?? Where can we find joy & peace of mind ??
– In correctly disciplining ourselves and our children
PROVERBS 29:18-20 – LISTENING FOR DISCIPLINE
?? How is God’s discipline described in v.18, and what does it require of us ??
– Revelation & Instruction
– We need to be actively listening
– God is constantly communicating with us – Scripture, Circumstances, People
– The Holy Spirit will speak to your heart throughout the day if you are seeking God
– Those who don’t are tossed by the waves
?? Are words enough to get our attention ??
– Discipline involves action
– We are in a relationship with God
– He interacts with us & uses more than words
– He also leads by example
?? What danger can we fall into according to v.20 ??
– Talking too much keeps us from listening
– If we make our relationship with God about us, we miss the point & miss God
– There’s little hope for someone who can’t listen
?? What does God’s discipline say about His character ??
– He loves all of us like a father
– He knows us intimately and wants us all to grow and succeed
– Let’s love Him and listen to Him
God uses discipline from society, family, and others to shape His people.